Thursday, January 15, 2015

Genetics Survey Results

Sharing Data Using Padlet

Are dominant traits more common than recessive traits?

Recently we collected genetics data from around the world using Google Forms. Read about that here. We collected close to 4000 responses. This is a copy of a Google Sheet showing the responses. 

I divided my students into 9 groups. Each group analyzed the data for one trait. Then they created a bar graph (using Pages) showing the frequency of that trait. This is their project sheet. Students posted their bar graphs to a Padlet wall and then used the wall to answer our big question: Are dominant traits more common than recessive traits?



So, are dominant traits more common than recessive traits? Our survey says no. Here are a couple of articles that explain why. 
"Dominant vs. Recessive" 
Is having 5 fingers a dominant trait?

I like using Padlet to allow students to share and collaborate. Today I had students read about a genetic disorder and create a poster on that disorder. They saved the poster to their camera roll and then added it to a Padlet. Tomorrow we will use the Padlet wall to do a some carousel learning about different genetic disorders. How do you use Padlet?

1 comment:

  1. This was a great activity and a great use of technology. I imagine the students were very engaged throughout the process. I am going to share your activity with the science teacher at my grade level.

    I have used Padlet in my classroom. My pre-algebra class has been working with scale factor and scale drawings recently. At the beginning of the unit I had them explore different types of scale drawings and post them to our Padlet wall to share with the class. In another class I posted an integer number sentence and each student wrote their own word problem that pertained to the given number sentence as a class "focus jumper," as we call them. I am hoping to incorporate students teaching a specific concept that we have been working on in class and create a Padlet presentation. For this type of activity I am also looking into Glogster. Padlet is a great place for students to work collaboratively on a project. I am also a big fan of Google docs, presentations, etc. Collaborating and sharing are a plus with Google.

    ReplyDelete